Sunday, August 30, 2009

An Update

So...you probably noticed I haven't posted anything about my progress with doing the Triathlon this year. That's because I didn't do it. I really, REALLY wanted to, but my body would not cooperate. I hurt my lower back about two months ago, and I haven't been able to fully recover. And every time I tried to do anything to train, my back would go out again. Such a Catch 22. I need to exercise to be healthy, but then when I exercise, I hurt myself and make it so I can't exercise.

I have not fully recovered yet, but I am working on it. The Triathlon came and went (it was two weeks ago), but I am bound and determined to do it next year. I have a whole year to train for it now, which takes the pressure off a bit.

I've been trying to find ways to exercise that do no hurt my back. At work, I sit at my desk all day (which doesn't help my back in the least), so my co-worker and I decided to take a couple of breaks during the day and do some stair climbing. I work in this really large building that has 74 stairs from the first floor to the roof level. Twice a day, my co-worker and I climb up and down those stairs twice in a row. That's 148 stairs in one session. This last Friday we did three times in a row instead of twice (222 stairs). Wow! Was that a workout! Actually, on Friday (because I work on the first floor but the computer lab is on the third floor, I have a lot of opportunities to go up and down two of the three flights of stairs)...anyway, as I was saying, on Friday I had to go to the computer lab twice during the day. So if I count all the stairs I climbed on Friday, it was 466. A pretty impressive number, if I do say so myself. I want to work up to over 1000 stairs during the day.

Ultimately I want to do the Bisbee Stair Climb (1000 stairs in old Bisbee, walking next to and around 100 year old houses). I could probably do it this year, but unfortunately I will be out of town (or maybe that's fortunately, since I'll be in the Happiest Place on Earth, Disneyland, followed by the Scariest Place on Earth, Knott's Scary Farm (I love Fright Nights!)). My sister and I have made a promise to each other that we will do the Bisbee Stair Climb next year. That will be a lot of fun to do it with her!!

Oh, and also the youth in the Stake are going on a Pioneer Handcart Trek for Youth Conference this year. I get to go along and take pictures. That's 8 miles of hiking, which should be really fun. I've been walking a lot to get ready for that trek.

So that is my update. I am not trying to get out of anything. I just have a bum back that I need to take care of before I can do something as strenuous as a Triathlon.

3 comments:

A Bunch of Paynes

Hey Erin...sorry to hear about your triathlon...I wanted to tell you that when I was down there we went to the cove and they have water aerobic classes. Water aerobics is a great workout but doesn't put too much strain on already hurt muscles. I did it when I was pregnant and I loved it! It is a really good aerobic workout. Anyways, just thought I'd mention it.

Christy

I agree with the person before. Water exercise is great for strengthening muscles that have been hurt. Or even swimming too. Bike riding is another one. And by the way, I can relate. Your Catch 22 is my life all the time. With my Fibromyalgia, there's a fine line with what I can do. I feel better when I exercise but if I do a tad too much, it wastes me for the the whole next day. I didn't know about the Bisbee Stair Climb. That is so fun! Maybe in a few years when I get back I'll do that. Keep us updated and good job on the stairs! Those totally work your legs and are really good to strengthen your back up again.

Anonymous

If you really want to sweat. Try spinning. It's a total workout and feels great too. When I did it I felt the burn but it was an easy recovery. Good job on the stairs!!!!

Oh, and good job on cupboard!What a womn you are with the drill.