Sunday, August 23, 2009

Surprises after Hard Work

Yesterday I spent most of the day doing yard work. (I have the sunburn to prove it...I forgot to put sunscreen on. Not good in the hot Arizona weather.)

One of the things I had to do was prune my big tree, because it was getting a little too shaggy looking. I wanted to be able to walk underneath it again. So I got out my Alligator saw (I love that power tool!) and went to work. I might have gone a little too crazy in some places, but the tree grows so fast, it should fill in the few bare spots in no time.

After pruning, I started painting the cuts with that pruning tar. Since I was carefully searching for all the different cuts I made, I was able to see things I didn't see before. I discovered something that made me smile.


Can you see it? Here is a closer image:

I have my very own bird's nest in my tree. Pigeons are not my favorite bird, but it was fun to discover the nest. Isn't that good luck or something?

I also discovered something that is a little disturbing. I have NO IDEA what this is:

Any ideas? The only things I can think of is the beginning of a beehive, or a weird looking cocoon, or my tree is growing a brain, or .... I am out of ideas.

Care to take a guess?

6 comments:

Kelli Callahan

What is that thing? That is so disgusting looking. I would hate to see whatever comes out of hibernating from that thing.

Randi

It looks even yuckier when you click on the picture and have a full screen view of it. Yuck! Your yard looks amazing. No one would ever believe that it was in Arizona.

Jesse

My guess is tree-brain fungus. You better call an arborist before your tree turns insidious and decides to take over the world. (At least we'll know what he's doing tomorrow night...)

Christy

Oh how fun (about the birds' nest) but not so fun about the tree fungus, or whatever that is! I love that you called them "surprises". I love that tree and love your yard. How come we dont' have more parties out there? Little luncheons and 4th off July parties.

Erin

I sent the picture of that disgusting thing to a Tree Doctor. He couldn't identify it right away, so I am supposed to take closer shots at different angles and measure the thing so he can have a better look at it. I'll let you know what he discovers. His first thought it was made by some sort of insect. YUCK!!

Erin

And Christy...I would love to have more parties/BBQs/picnics in my backyard, but I am a little embarrassed because it is not all done. I still have two areas I need to plant stuff in. I keep saying I will do it in the Spring, but I never do and I let another year go by without doing anything. I hate how I procrastinate things so much! :o)