Monday, August 24, 2009

Taking Matters in My Own Hand

I have this cupboard that has been really bugging me for a long time. It is where I store my pots and pans. Almost every time I get a pan from the back of the cupboard, I cut my hand on the sharp edges of the shelf above. These are not the best made cupboards in the world, but they suffice.

I finally got tired of having to either 1) take everything out of the cupboard to get to my pans in the back, or 2) cut my hand up if I try to go over and around the pots in the front, so I took matters into my own hands...haha...who else would do it otherwise?

I installed a drawer so I could get to everything easier. I found the perfect drawer at Lowes.

Here is what I did:

STEP 1: Put the frame in the best position.


STEP 2: Marked the holes to drill.



STEP 3: Drilled the holes.



STEP 4: Installed the screws to the frame.


STEP 5: Put the drawer on the track.


STEP 6: Pushed the drawer in a verify everything fits.


STEP 7: Put away the pots and pans.


STEP 7: Pulled the drawer out and push it back in repeatedly, marveling at a job well done, and knowing this drawer will single-handedly save my hands from getting cut up again from these sharp shelves.

5 comments:

Karen Marie

I am so impressed with your mad DIY skills!!! I should've known! Great job! ;)

Randi

Wow! You are such a creative thinker. I would have just complained about it for as long as I would own the house. Nice work.

Christy

Stop it! I have been asking Brian to put those drawers in for the last 3 years. he was so unsure how to do it. I showed him your blog and said, "If Erin can do it, we can do it!"...and now we're moving... *sigh* good job though! I'm thoroughly impressed. You're making all of us lazy butts look bad. our husbands not get wind of all your tree-trimmin, lights hangin, drawer buildin' hobbies or they'll expect US to do more. Heaven forbid! hahah

Erin

Christy...it took me about a year of thinking about it, searching for the right drawer, finding it at Lowes, and making repeated trips to Lowes almost buying it but then chickening out at the last minute. I finally bit the bullet and did it. I was SO SURPRISED how easy it was. I am going to install one at my mom's house soon.

.

You are SO awesome!!! Will you come here and do mine?!?!?