Monday, February 22, 2010

Randomness

Remember the Greely Hall Hallway Buffet? For the actual potluck portion of the day, I made a casserole from the Pampered Chef cookbook (Main Dishes). It's called Calico Bean Bake. It's an extremely easy and yummy item I tend to take to potlucks if I don't make a dessert. Because it doesn't look so good (it's four different types of beans mixed with bacon and BBQ sauce..yum!), people avoid it, but if they try it, it's often their favorite thing from the buffet line. Okay...that's the casserole...let me tell you a little more about the Hallway Buffet. How it works: At 11:00, all organizations eat together individually, then at 1:00 all the food is moved to the hallways and the eating extravaganza is opened up for everyone in the whole building to walk the hallways and scavenge what's left on everyone else's tables. It's a food frenzy. Now...that's the background information you need to know to understand the story. We put our left over food out in the hallway. My casserole was about half gone when we put it out there. I checked the table every 15 minutes or so to make sure trash was cleaned up and tables were consolidated as needed. One time, a co-worker was out helping me. I told her about my casserole and how if someone tried it, they would really like it. It just looks odd, so people are scared. Someone out in the hallway overheard me, so he decided to try it. He put a scoop on his plate and walked to the next table down the hall a bit. I thought that would be the last time I would see him. He was just a random person. Then, about a month later, I see someone who looked mildly familiar coming around the corner. He walked passed me, then quickly turned around and called me back. He then told me the food I made for the Christmas Potluck was SO GOOD, he had to tell me. He said it was so good, it was memorable, even a month later. Haha! That was very funny and very random. At first I couldn't remember what he was talking about. I thought maybe he was one of the judges for the baking contest, but then it hit me...and I remembered my short conversation with my co-worker and the gentlemen who overheard us. It really did make my day! I am NOT a good cook, so whenever I am complimented on my cooking, I am very pleased! :o)

1 comments:

Randi

Maybe you should start a recipe blog and share this talent that you have!