Monday, December 21, 2009

Deja Vu - Holiday Celebration and Baking Contests

Last Thursday was the Greely Hall Holiday Celebration. That's the HUGE party in my building, complete with caroler's roaming the hall, potlucks, food, baking contests, food, door decorating contests, food, and more food.

Remember last year when I entered a bunch of the baking contests and won the Cookie category with a GREAT Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe?

This year I entered only one category in the Baking Contest...Candy. I just didn't have a lot of time to bake, and this recipe was no bake, so it was perfect. I made Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars. Mmmmmm!!! So good. My favorite combination....you can't go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate.

Once again, there were A LOT of entries. Remember, this building is the workplace of thousands of people. Of course, a lot of those people don't enter the contests, but still, there is usually a really good showing.

Before the contest winners were announced, the little caroling group I sing with roamed the hallways for an hour, then sang in the auditorium for the Commanding General, Commanding Sergent Major, and everyone else who was in there. We've done this every year for the last four years. (I've been singing with the group for the past seven years, but only the last four have we been invited to sing for the Holiday Celebration!). It's always a lot of fun. We are a pretty good group, if I do say so myself. :o) It's all A Capella and we have a pretty wide selection of songs, from Jingle Bells to What Child is This to White Christmas to The First Noel to Hanukkah songs. Every year we add more songs. I really enjoy singing with this group!!

After our performance, I stayed in the auditorium to wait for the contest winners to be announced. It took a while this time, since they had Santa come for the kids and the CG speak to everyone BEFORE the announcements were made, but I am glad I waited, because I WON FIRST PLACE again! Yay!! It's Deja Vu!

Here is the recipe for this AWESOME treat, courtesy of my wonderful friend, Anne Ivie. Enjoy!!

************************************

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars

Mix and press into bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan:

1 cup melted butter
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth

Melt together until smooth:

1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 Tablespoons Peanut butter

Spread on top of the mixture in the pan. Refrigerate 1 hour before cutting.

1 comments:

Randi

Yay Erin! (and Anne). That really is a yummy recipe...do you think you could turn it into a WW recipe by chance?