Friday, April 17, 2009

Most embarrassing moment

I haven't been on the computer for a little while because I've done the most humiliating thing. I signed up for Facebook. Just kidding....that's not the embarrassing thing.

While I was signing up for Facebook, I imported my yahoo address book into the Facebook application to see who is already signed up and who I can request to be my friend. In the process, I accidentally sent a notification or a request to EVERYONE in my address book. Here is a idea of people in my book:

- Contacts from my side business who I do web site work for
- Current and former team members from my day job
- My current employer
- My government team lead
- Most of the 4th Ward Relief Society (from when I was in the RS presidency)
- All bishops in the Sierra Vista Stake
- The SV Stake Presidency
- All Ward bulletin specialists for the stake (I have to send announcements for Stake choir twice a year)
- Other people who wanted updates when my dad was sick
- Friends and Family

After I pressed send and realized what I did (I was too click-happy and didn't read correctly), I started freaking out. I was hyperventilating ... crying ... I had to shut down my computer and not turn it on again for a few days. It was awful.

Now I am able to laugh at myself a bit more. But I am still embarrassed.

Who I am most embarrassed about are my business contacts (so unprofessional), my current employer and team members, some of the stake members who I don't even know.

Most people have been really nice and it is fun to see who is on Facebook that I never would have guessed would be on there. I already have 40 friends after three days. Maybe people felt sorry for me and thought I was desperate for friends. :o) Haha! Oh well. Maybe good will come out of my embarrassing moment.

2 comments:

Randi

Erin-I love it. Don't feel bad, I have done similar. I think you need to look at it not as people feeling sorry for your desperate attempt to find friends, but rather as people who think you are really cool and want desperately to be your facebook friend. I want to add you to my husbands account (since I don't have one) so I can be your friend.

Amber

Erin, this is pretty fun (lol)...I recently joined facebook searching for someone and I'm still trying to figure out why I have misc. conversation posted on my "wall":>