Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Caution: Extreme Winds and Recycling do not mix

Wind is nothing new to Sierra Vista. We often have very windy days and nights. In fact, there has been wind and red flag warnings yesterday and today with gusts up to 50mph.

Today was also recycle day. My neighborhood must be the first on the route, because the trash/recycle man comes before 7:30am. I often miss putting out my trash can or my recycle bin because I am usually getting ready for work at that time and I don't really want to go outside with curlers in my hair. But when I plan correctly, I usually put my can/bin out before I get in the shower on the morning of the pickup. I don't like to put can/bin out the night before because I don't want them to tip over during the night if it's windy.

I don't know what I was thinking last night.

It was windy all day, but about 9pm, the winds calmed down. I didn't want to miss the recycle truck because it only comes once a month, and I missed last month's pickup so I had a pretty full can. I saw my neighbors have their cans out the night before, so I just followed suit. I put out my can and then went to bed. I didn't worry about it because there was no wind at that moment and the news said the red flag warning would return at 10am the next morning.

At about 1am, I woke up because my house was shaking, moaning, and groaning from the extreme winds. I got out of bed and went to the front of the house to look out the window. What I saw was my recycle bin lying on its side and a lot of the contents being blown around the neighborhood. Most of my other neighbors were smart and brought their cans back to their houses before the winds could tip them over. Not me. Well, not until 1am that is...

I threw on a hoodie and shoes and ran outside. I picked up my can and brought it to my house, then I spent the next 30 minutes running around my neighborhood picking up my cardboard, water bottles, cereal boxes, magazines, etc. Well, more than just pick up those things. I was chasing some in circles as they were swirling around in mini cyclones. It was kind of funny...luckily no one else was outside to see.

While I was at it, I noticed one of my neighbors did not put their can away either and it was tipped over as well, so I picked up their trash as well and moved their can to a safe place next to their monster truck (I'm serious, they really do have a monster truck).

Even after picking up everything I could find, I still lost about 1/4 of the contents of the bin. Sorry neighbors! I didn't mean to litter in your yards.

At 7am, I rolled my recycle bin back out. Then I went in the house and found a few more things I needed to put in there, so I gathered them up and went back outside. And again, my recycle can was on its side and boxes and bottles were once again blowing around my front yard. I wasn't even in the house for 5 minutes!

Once again I went on a run around my yard to pick up garbage and return it to the bin. I don't think I lost anything this time. I turned the can so it was harder to knock over and then went back inside the house. I had to check every 5 minutes to see if the can was on its side again, but it did not get tipped over. And then the garbage truck came around at 7:20 and saved the day.

What a night! I could not get back to sleep for an hour after running around at 1am. Note to self, put out the trash can or recycle bin right before the truck comes. And turn the can slightly if it is windy so it won't get knocked down again.

Lesson learn!

0 comments: