Saturday, January 29, 2011

My first attempt at canning

I do Bountiful Baskets because it seems to save me a lot of money for fruits and vegetables. However, I get so many wonderful fruits and veggies, I am not able to eat them all during the two week period before I pick up my next boutiful basket. I don't like wasting food, so I decided it was high time I learn to can.

I've been receiving a hole bunch of apples and pears lately, so as I get apples, I would put them through my Pampered Chef Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer and then freeze them. I didn't know what to do with them after that, so I bought a water bath pot, jars, the Ball Canning book, and the canning kit, and I was ready to go.

Here is what I did:

STEP 1: Get out equipment and fruit to can.

I used both my frozen sliced apples and a bag of fresh apples.

All my frozen apple slices, I made into apple sauce. They started getting brown when they thawed out, but the apple sauce still tastes wonderful!

STEP 2: Put the washed jars in the water bath (2/3 full) to heat the jars. Put the lids in a separate pot to heat as well.


STEP 3: Slice the fresh apples and put them in lemon water to keep from browning. I used the Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer, which makes fast and easy work out of cutting the apples.


STEP 4: Boil the frozen apples in water until tender.


STEP 5: Boil the freshly sliced apples in syrup (I made Ultra Light syrup) for 5 minutes to warm through. Meanwhile, let the frozen apples cool slightly.


STEP 6: Blend the frozen apples into sauce. Add lemon juice.


STEP 7: Take the first jar from the water bath. Dump out all water into the pot.


STEP 8: Working one jar at a time, fill the warm jar with either sliced apples and syrup or apple sauce. Be sure to remove any air bubbles. Leave 1/2 inch room on top.


STEP 9: Get a warm lid and center it on the jar. Screw the band on the jar until tight (but not overly tight).


STEP 10: Put the jar back into the water bath. Repeat steps until all fruit is used (or all jars are used).


STEP 11: After all jars are ready, fill the pot with more water until all the jars are under water with 1 inch over the tops. Bring to a rapid boil. Once the rapid boil starts, start the timer for 20 minutes. Leave alone.


STEP 12: After the 20 minutes are over, remove the lid of the water bath and turn off the stove burner. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Do not move the jars.

STEP 13: Remove the jars one at a time being sure not to tip the jars. Do not remove water from the tops. Let them sit for 24 hours in a non-draft area.


STEP 14: Enjoy your homemade goods!


I never knew how easy canning actually is. It takes time, but it is SO SIMPLE! I repeated this process with my pears the next day. I only had enough to make 4 jars of pears, but that's fine! It only took me about 2 hours to do that whole process with my pear slices. I think I like canning in small amounts. That way I still have time to do other things as well.

I will definitely be doing more canning in the future. I almost can't wait to see what I get in the next Bountiful Basket. What will I be able to can next?

0 comments: