Monday, January 24, 2011

Back to the Teen Years

January 22 I was asked to help chaperon 400 priests/laurels (16-18 year old young men and young women) at a combined stake priest/laurel conference in Tucson. My presidency split up the duties and two of us took the morning shift and two of us took the afternoon/evening shift. I had the later shift. We arrived at 3PM at the University of Arizona Institute building when the kids just had started their service project. In the morning they attended four different workshops, which I heard were really good, and had a tour of the U of A.

Eloise and I checked in and were given a colored lanyard to wear around our necks with the schedule, a small tablet, and a small pencil in a plastic sleeve. I didn't think anything of it. I just put it on and went to find things to do to help.

The conference was very well organized and the youth looked they they were really enjoying themselves. During the time we were there, they did several service projects, including sorting, cleaning, and packaging eye glasses, writing Valentines for soldiers, and writing children's books for a child from each of the eight stakes involved in this conference. They were all really cool projects, but I have to say the books were my favorite. I got to help laminate the pages at the end of the night and I saw the finished products. They were all so creative and the art was so good. There are some mighty talented people out there!

The youth also got to listen to the President of University of Arizona, Dr. Shelton. He had just hosted President Barack Obama at the U of A for a Memorial Service for the victims of the shooting a few weeks ago. It was neat to see him interact and talk with these kids. He really likes LDS kids. During the question and answer session, one young man asked if they got a scholarship from U of A and went on a mission, will they have the scholarship when they return? Dr. Shelton, without hesitating, stated "Guaranteed". That brought on cheers. He also talked about the university experience (whichever university you choose) and how a good sense of self and belief in a value system will really help you in college because when you are challenged (and you will be challenged) you can reach into your inner reservoir and overcome those challenges. He said that with growing up in our church, we have that sense of self and value system. We also have support from our community so we are more prepared for college life than other kids who did not grow up with those things. It was very interesting to listen to him and to hear what he has to say.

Then we heard from Bishop Brian Manwaring, the Sierra Vista Seminary Principal. He is such a fun and great speaker. He had a fun talk about the importance of following the Lord's plan when it comes to dating. He urged those in a serious, 1 on 1 relationship to break up. It is not the time (as a priest or a laurel) to steady date. That time will come later. It is the time to group date and have fun with a bunch of different individuals. He said the plan goes like this: Beehives and Deacons are usually kept separate from one another (because deacons like to poke fires with a stick and people are afraid they will start poking Beehives with a stick if they get together. Haha!). When you turn 14 and become Teachers or Miamaids, you are allowed to start going to stake dances and other activities. Now is the time to start making friends and interacting with the opposite sex. When you turn 16 and become Priests and Laurels, you are allowed to start dating, but group dating is what is encouraged. Single dating will come later. It's line upon line and we have steps we need to take. If you think you are an exception to the plan and do things your own way, you will not be happy in the long run. Follow the Lord's Plan and he will never lead you astray.

Of course, Bishop Manwaring made it a lot more fun than I can put in a few sentences, but this is the jist of his comments. I thought he was so great and I really thought it was awesome how he just came out and told the young couples to break up. He said it with love and concern for their well-being. I saw some of the kids let go of hands, but I saw others hold on tighter. I'm not sure what will be the outcome from his talk, but it was so important for those teenagers to hear!

Back to the color lanyard. Apparently, the leaders got red-white-and-blue lanyards, but they were all out by the time I got there. So during the service project, before the evening speakers, during dinner, and at the dance, some of the teenagers kept asking me if I was having a fun time, or how I was enjoying the day, or things to find out more about me (like hobbies, etc). At first I was just thinking they were being nice, but then it started to dawn on me that they thought I was one of the teenagers!! One girl was talking with me for a long time while we sat in the auditorium waiting for the speakers to start. Finally she asked me if I was a leader or a youth. She said I had the youth lanyard on so it confused her. Haha! I guess I look young enough to pull off being 18 years old. That totally made my day. I am almost twice their age!! I have not been confused for a teenager for a long time. Haha!

And before you ask...I didn't get asked to dance by any teenage boys. I didn't stay in the dance room long enough (plus I don't think they would have asked me anyway....I'm not their type [not cute and small and flirty]). I stayed in a side classroom helping to laminate the pages of the childrens' books that were created during the service project.

But overall, I think the whole Priest/Laurel Conference was a HUGE success. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and learn a lot in the process. It was a long, but good day for all!

1 comments:

Not quite the Bradys

That is really funny! :) Would've made my day too. I on the other hand, went to buy wine for something I was cooking in November and didn't get carded- and they're supposed to card anyone who looks THIRTY-FIVE or younger! That SO did NOT make my day. :)