Monday, April 19, 2010

How to Get Out of a Speeding Ticket

A few Sundays ago I was driving home from the Stake Center after a Ward Conference (I am privileged to attend all the ward conferences in the stake since I am in the Stake Young Women's Presidency). I was thinking about the conference and about my upcoming computer security test and whatever else. I wasn't thinking about my speed. I was ALMOST HOME when I turned on to Columbo Ave; my mind far away in my own world. All of the sudden, I see cop lights turn on ahead of me. I looked down and I was going 45 in a 35 mph zone. Whoops!

The blue undercover cop car was going the opposite direction. The cop was prevented from turning around because of median dividers between the lanes, but I knew he was after me. I just continued up the road, pulled off at a safe place, got my driver's license, proof of insurance, and registration, and patiently waited for him to find a place to turn around and catch up to me.

When he walked up to my window, he asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said yes. I apologized for speeding, saying I hardly ever do that...I was just thinking about other things. Then I promptly handed all the documents to him. He proceeded to call in my name to dispatch right there, without going to his car.

While he was waiting for my info to come back, I asked him about his undercover car. I said I've seen this blue one around, as well as a tan one. He was pretty excited to tell me these cars have been in the fleet for about a year. And how just by switching the grill in the front, and also the hub caps, it makes the cars look like street vehicles and it really confuses people. They use these cars mainly for traffic violations and they are able to catch a lot of people. He was very chatty about his car. I tried to keep him going by asking questions to further his excitement. Then finally dispatch (or whoever they call on their walkie talkies) came back with a code and my information. I'm assuming they figured out I wasn't wanted for anything. The nice cop handed me back my documents and told me he is only giving me a warning this time. He told me to be more conscious about my speed. I thanked him and drove the three blocks to my house, feeling mighty pleased with myself. I had to laugh at the situation too. :o)

I have only been pulled over one other time in my life. That was on the way home from Utah driving through an Indian Reservation (or maybe just coming out of one). I was going 80 in a 65. When the cop pulled me over, he asked me how fast I was going. I prompted said "80". He was so shocked I was so honest, that he only gave me a ticket for going 5 over. I had to pay $50, but it did not even go on my record. If I had to get a ticket, I guess that is the best way. No driving school for me. :o)

So the moral of these stories is: Be brutally honest with cops. It will surprise them and they will give you a lesser sentence. Also, it helps if you can get them excited by talking about their car! :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous

That's really funny!!! I'll keep that in mind. I seem to have a sticker on the back of my car that says "pull me over I'm probably speeding" I get pulled over so often!

{ps... tell Kelli to update her blog!!}

Randi

That is funny. I have only been pulled over a few times and I am always crying by the time the cop gets to my window that they let me off because they feel bad for me. Now that my sister works for the sheriff dept back home I am not so afraid of cops.